Monday, October 5, 2015

Fall Nostalgia and a Recipe!



What is it about Fall?

I think it's the coziness of it. Like falling into your own bed after being away for a while.  Like hugging your own pillow. 


It's familiar.  Comfortable.  Fall brings with it the longing for family and the making of memories.

 

Today feels especially Fallish.  It's cool out.  The house smells like pumpkin spiced candles.  And I'm missing my sister, Monica.  I'm missing the five of us siblings squishing together on a couch made for three, talking and laughing about things that make sense only to us.


The last time she was here for the holidays, we made a ton of Monica's honey cookies.  Can I tell you we at every last one?!  Yup.  They didn't make it past the cooling rack!   Don't judge.


I made the cookies today.  Celine and I had one with a cup of coffee during my lunch break.

Mmm... 

Can you feel it?

 Fall.  

Since I'm feeling so nostalgic and I love to share with those I like most, here is the recipe!

Monica's Honey Cookies

1 cup shortening                   2 & 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar            3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey                       1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg                                       1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla                 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream together shortening and brown sugar
Beat in honey, egg and vanilla
Gradually blend in dry ingredients, which have been sifted together
Chill the dough at least 3 hours
Roll to 1/8 - 1/4 " thickness on lightly floured surface
Cut with floured cookie cutters
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 F for 8-10 minutes
*Yields about 2 1/2 dozen

Go ahead - eat them all.  I won't judge!

1 comment:

I love to hear what you have to say!